JOB DESCRIPTION: The Syracuse Area Chamber of Commerce is currently looking for an Executive Director. The Executive Director plays a vital role in promoting the Syracuse Area, and has the ability to positively impact area businesses, local residents and the community as a whole. The Executive Director serves on the Board of Directors and acts as the driving force behind Chamber activities. As an advisor to the President, the Executive Director provides the enthusiasm and support required to carry forth the Chamber’s agreed-upon objectives in a timely and professional manner—while also promoting the growth and betterment of the Syracuse Community!
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work to promote Chamber membership and build strong relationships with local businesses and individuals. Communicate with current and prospective members.
- Collaborate with Chamber members and other community leaders to implement goals as directed by the Board. Work closely with the Syracuse Area Economic Development Committee, as well as the City of Syracuse Mayor and staff.
- Promote Chamber events, programs and goals through various communication methods such as: social media, website content, publication ads, print materials, email, etc. Generate new marketing and event ideas to increase traffic for Chamber businesses and the overall community.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the Chamber in almost all matters, in consultation with the Chamber President. Facilitate communication with Chamber members, businesses, residents and visitors.
- Establish and maintain a sound working relationships and cooperative agreements with community organizations, as well as key county and state-wide tourism and commerce groups.
- Assist the President in facilitating subgroups of the Chamber such as special event committees focused on: Business Ribbon Cuttings, Tannenbaum, GermanFest, Easter Egg Hunt, Clean-Up Day, Citywide Garage Sales, etc.
- Promote active and broad volunteer involvement in all areas of the Chamber’s work. Encourage members to serve in leadership roles and recruit area volunteers to assist with Chamber-sponsored community events.
- Support committee chairpersons working to organize Chamber-sponsored special events. Be onsite to assist at events.
- Provide leadership in developing program and organizational plans with the Board of Directors; and carry out plans and policies as directed by the Board. Work with the Vice President & Treasurer to develop an annual budget and work within its parameters.
- Communicate with the Board regarding condition of the Chamber and any important factors within the organization, community, county or state that may influence the organization.
- Attend Chamber Board Meetings & Chamber General Meetings in Syracuse, currently held at Noon on the last and first Mondays of every month. Prepare agendas and other items for both monthly meetings.
- Maintain and preserve all official records and documents of the Chamber; keep materials in a central repository accessible by the Board.
- Work with the President and Secretary to conduct official correspondence of the Chamber and jointly, with the designated officers, execute legal documents and perform any other duties as directed by the Board.
HOURS/PAY: Flexible, work-from-home position with office space available. Average of 10 hours per week. Hours per week can vary depending on special events (500-600 hours total annually). Rate of $13.50 to $15 per hour; based on experience.
TO APPLY: Submit resume with references to email@example.com by Friday, January 10, 2020